THE Castle of Belcaro, located near Siena, is a medieval building dating back to the twelfth century.
The founder of the Castle of Belcaro seems to have been Marescotti around 1190.
Over the centuries the castle has been destroyed several times and it passed into the hands of few families, including that of the Salimbeni.
In 1373 the Salimbeni family donated the castle to St. Catherine of Siena, who turned it into a convent of nuns.
In 1525 BELCARO became the property of the family Turamini who chose Baldassare Peruzzi for the restoration of the castle that, thanks to him, got the current form.
Today belongs to the family Camajori who bought it in 1710.
Nowadays the castle is a private property so, unfortunately, it is not opened to the public.